Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My VBA3C after inverted T birth story

My VBA3C after inverted T birth story
After 3 very traumatic c-sections, we were quite surprised that I was pregnant again! Since I had been told that my only option was to deliver by cesarean, we did not plan to get pregnant again. After the initial shock passed, and desperate for a better delivery, I began to seek out options. I was referred to an OB by a group of midwives who told me "if anyone will give you a chance to VBAC, this doctor will". You see, my first c-section was an Inverted T, literally an upside down T incision I was given when my breech baby was stuck in the birth canal. This increased my risk of uterine rupture, which is why so many doctors had told me "NO" to VBAC. But wow, I finally had some real hope!!
Long story short, after a great consult with my new OB, we went forward with plans to VBAC. We knew that the risk of uterine rupture was higher, but carefully weighed that risk with the risks of another section, the potential complications given my history, and the recovery time it would require, and decided to go for it!
I gave it my all to prepare for this birth. I took childbirth classes, hired a doula, and got chiropractic treatment to help with positioning for birth. I joined support groups including a local ICAN, read and researched everything I could get my hands on, and wrote an excellent birthplan. I wanted to do everything in my power to set myself up for the very best chances of success. That way, if for some reason another c-section was required, I could be at peace with that, and I would know that I had done everything in my power, so it apparently was just not meant to be.
Labor started at dawn on Sunday morning, August 16th, when my water broke at about 5:45. Contractions started about 30 minutes after. Labor was great. I was amazed at the incredible work my body was doing to birth my baby. I teared up a couple of times during my labor while reflecting on the fact that I really was doing it!!
At 10:30 am, we arrived at the hospital, fully dilated!! Sergio Emanuel was born at 11:34 am, weighing in at 6lbs 7oz, 19 inches long. He was beautiful, and healthy, and I DID IT!! I BIRTHED this baby! I held my beautiful, vernix-covered, VBA3C after inverted T precious baby boy! Thinking about it today still makes my heart smile!


4 comments:

  1. Just wanted you to know this is great! I am actually 35 1/2 weeks due with my 4th and have had 3 cs. My 4th cs is scheduled and I have been praying about it and am going to ask my dr. tomorrow if I can do a TOL. I asked with my 3rd and was turned down. I am going to ask "why" this time. Just nice to read another story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Annie! for some reason i never saw this comment! i know you probably had your baby by now, and i hope you got a chance to vbac! GL to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to have read your story. I've had 3 c/s and while we're not trying for another baby any time soon, I am DETERMINED to have a vba3c next time. I was lied to for my first c/s, bullied into my second despite my cries for a vbac. My third, I fought to find a doctor that would agree with a vba2c and found one that said he really wasn't comfortable with it since he didn't perform the c/s's but he would respect my wishes...but complications arose and I agreed to a c/s. The complications were not related to the original reasons for a section so I do believe they were isolated to just that baby and I am determined to birth any future children.

    If you're interested in reading my story, you can find it here http://milkymomma.blogspot.com/2007/06/violation-of-womans-desires.html That's not the whole story though, just up to the point of my second son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Was just wondering how many weeks when you had your VBAC? Thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete